I was doing a little idle research for another project on “religious cults” and came across this characterisation:
1. Leaders who are or attempt to be inspirational
2. Leaders who are authoritarian and demand their orders are carried out.
3. The group displays excessively zealous and unquestioning commitment to its leader
3. An atmosphere of detailed conformity and regulations.
4. A requirement for members of the cult to be “on message”
5. An unhealthy mix of work and un-separated social life, with limited opportunity to socialise outside the group.
7. Leaders prescribe what types of clothes to wear, where to live
8. Elitism is common, with members claiming special or exalted status.
9. The group has a polarized us-versus-them mentality
10. Members are expected to devote inordinate amounts of time to the group and group-related activities
Ha, I thought, you’ll never get me to join such an organisation. Then I remembered I’d spent 16 years in the Army…