Intelligence Analysis – Intensive 5 Day Course
This course will explore the methods used to conduct and manage intelligence processes. It is designed for people entering the profession or those that may have experience of intelligence work but need to refresh their skills. The course will be based on well established principles developed from military intelligence techniques and the police national intelligence model. They are applicable to commercial organisations and a broad spectrum of public sector audiences. Students will learn the theory that underpins intelligence operations. They will go on to understand collection methods available to agencies. Analytical principles will be an important part of the course as will techniques for disseminating data. The course will be largely practical and will require considerable student participation. Students will learn to think about problems in a different way. They will understand the influences that distort rational thinking and how to develop hypotheses in a logical systematic way.
IMSL has highly experienced analysts and instructors who can draw from a wide range of experiences in the public and private sector. The course will teach intelligence best practice but will also make the student challenge normal ideas and methods of working. It will instil a questioning and dynamic approach to problem solving. The analytical techniques learned can be applied to any working environment involving problem solving from commercial to public sector at the macro and local level.
The course is suitable for individuals and groups from the public, private and charitable sectors, with examples and use cases drawn from IMSL’s extensive experience of implementing intelligence management processes in all three of these domains. The course is ideally suited to those entering the intelligence community or looking to broaden their understanding of intelligence led working practices
Level: No specific requirements
Language: The course will be taught in English.
Delivery style: 50% Instructor led theory, 40% practical session, 10% Classroom discussion
Duration: 5 Days (Times 08-30 – 12-30 / 13-30 – 17-30)
Location: The Intelligence & Analysis School, IMSL, Walsingham House, Shrivenham. SN6 8TZ. UK. (Alternative locations by arrangement)
Module 1 – Fundamentals
- Understanding the concept of the Intelligence cycle
- Understanding the Principles of intelligence within a civilian and military environment
- National Intelligence Model and how it can be applied to a wider audience
- The importance of direction to intelligence procedures
Module 2 – Collection
- Understand the broad scope of collection assets that may be available to an intelligence team
- Understand the utility of imagery, communications and human intelligence to the collection process
- Understand the growing role of open source intelligence and social media to modern intelligence teams. This will broaden into a discussion on the importance of big data to intelligence gatherers
- Techniques for managing collection and the passage of data between organisations will be discussed and exercised
Module 3 – Intelligence processing
- Comprehension of the various stages of the analytical process from collation, through evaluation, analysis and integration to the production of an assessment
- Analytical techniques will encompass: the use of analytical software, statistical analysis, temporal, geospatial and link analysis techniques
- Understanding the biases and fallacies that can affect their products and the techniques that can mitigate biases and fallacies
Module 4 – Practical application
- Develop skills in written, graphic and verbal communication that enhance product dissemination
- Understanding the best practices and skills needed for working in an intelligence team
- Understanding the role of intelligence on operational planning
(For CTP participants accommodation can be booked through the usual CTP procedures.)
Tea, coffee and soft drinks are provided throughout all training courses.
A buffet lunch can be provided. (Special dietary requirements must be noted at the time of booking)
Car Parking: Available.
Public Transport: By rail to Swindon Station + local taxi.